Inland Valley Volkswagens
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Inland Valley Volkswagens

IVVW car club

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Oil cooler fan...
I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeSat 13 Jul 2013, 18:49 by Mannequinman

» IVVW Picnic ,Cahuilla Park
I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeSat 13 Jul 2013, 18:45 by Mannequinman

» Dino's Interiors - San Dimas CA
I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeMon 27 Aug 2012, 15:25 by Catahoula Lou

» I'm new to the vw world
I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jun 2012, 06:53 by sidecargezzer

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

I'm new to the vw world

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sidecargezzer

I'm new to the vw world Empty
PostSubject: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeWed 01 Feb 2012, 19:59

I just bought a 71 bus and should have it on the road by next week, still needs much work and I have a ton on questions because I have never owned one, but always wanted one,,, Very Happy
I live out in Joshua tree now but used to live in Alta Loma for years. I race vintage motocross and plan on using the bus to go to the races up and down the coast. This looks like the place to be and close to home, if I ask really dumb questions be easy on an old gezzer,,,,,
thanks for having this club and web site !! cheers
Back to top Go down
Mannequinman

PostSubject: Re: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeThu 02 Feb 2012, 01:29

As one geezer to another... WELCOME ! I have a beetle so I ain't gonna be much help to ya.Mr.Garritson has a 70 or 71 bus... HE is the guy you need to talk to.

Hey Rob.. the new guy wants to talk to ya !

Lets hope ole Rob drops by real soon !
Back to top Go down
Mannequinman

PostSubject: Re: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeFri 03 Feb 2012, 09:14

Rob.... ROB ? Hey Rob !!! Talk to the new guy !

I guess Rob's Sleep
Back to top Go down
sidecargezzer

PostSubject: Re: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeFri 03 Feb 2012, 17:32

Smile it's ok, he will get around to it and I do not have the bus in hand yet, maybe next week, it's a long story I will tell at a later date.
I looked at the photos of his bus, mine is white and yellow, but not in as good of shape.
It was a one owner 71 bus from Lancaster in the high desert, the lady drove it around Lancaster after her hubby died,,,in 3rd gear, all the time, she did not like to shift Rolling Eyes it had been sitting for a number of years, looks like the speed freaks got at it a few times, the radio is gone and much of the wiring under the dash is messed up. Plan is to get back on the road and fix it as I go...
Back to top Go down
Mannequinman

PostSubject: Re: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeSat 04 Feb 2012, 01:11

That is MY philosophy... git it on the road FIRST ! Then pretty it up if ya can...
Back to top Go down
mrgarretsn
Admin
mrgarretsn

PostSubject: Re: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeSat 11 Feb 2012, 00:38

I'm here now! Mine is a 72. Can't wait to see your 71.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ivvw.org
sidecargezzer

PostSubject: Re: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeTue 06 Mar 2012, 20:33

[quote="mrgarretsn"]I'm here now! Mine is a 72. Can't wait to see your 71.[/quote]
Thanks for the reply Rob, tried to pick the bus up last week, I was told it was ready to go, my plan was to drive it from Lancaster to Victorville, where I work, then home, never made it !. Never ran well under a load and I had to feather the thing to get it up to about 50mph. Got about 10 or 15 miles from the shop in Lancaster and started to climb the hill near Saddleback butt and it slowed WAYYY down, like it was over heating??? not sure yet.
Let it sit about an hour and drove it back to the shop, best I could do was 3rd and 2nd gear, popping off and on and blowing flames out the pipe (timing?) any how, there it sits at the moment, I'm a little upset, my plan was to get it at least to home in Joshua tree, then turn it over to Baja Worx in Yucca Valley to get it right.
Back to top Go down
mrgarretsn
Admin
mrgarretsn

PostSubject: Re: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeTue 06 Mar 2012, 20:43

You did good by going back to the shop. You can do a lot of damage by trying to push it. Do you have AAA? I have the Premium plan and it includes a free tow up to 200 miles. It might be worth it to get the bus towed to the right mechanic. Just a thought...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ivvw.org
Mannequinman

PostSubject: Re: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeTue 06 Mar 2012, 22:32

Absolutely git that AAA Premium pkg with 200 mile towing !! Of all the things a VW owner needs.. the top 2 are AAA and a fire extinguisher !
Back to top Go down
sidecargezzer

PostSubject: Re: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeWed 07 Mar 2012, 08:04

I have the good sam travel card which has towing as well, but yes, I brought an
extinguisher, more than aware about that, looking at the records from the bus the fuel lines have not been changed in ten years !! Shocked
I'll give him one more try to get the motor right before I go to having it towed to Yucca !
Back to top Go down
Mannequinman

PostSubject: Re: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeWed 07 Mar 2012, 11:35

I drive my VW every day so I replace the fuel lines on a regular basis.. another cheap insurance policy. ( )ne fir wil ruin yer WHOLE day )
Back to top Go down
sidecargezzer

PostSubject: Re: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeWed 04 Apr 2012, 06:53

I decided to have my brother trailer the bus over to Joshua tree rather than take a chance on hurting the motor, now the work really starts, I'll try to take some photos this coming weekend
Back to top Go down
55vert

55vert

PostSubject: Re: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeSat 14 Apr 2012, 12:35

I had a bus but it wasn't a bay, it was a split and only had it for a short time. I hope you ate having fun it it because its always fun when you play with VWs. Even I you're having a hard time with them. Hope to see it when you're done with it. Keep us up to date with everything you do to your bus.
Back to top Go down
http://www.strictlyairvws.com
sidecargezzer

PostSubject: Re: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jun 2012, 06:53

A quick update, after re-timing the motor and doing a number of other things I seemed to have the bus running very well. Drove it on short trips into Joshua tree and all seemed fine.
Now I have what appears to be a rear main leak, it dumped a bunch of oil at a stop light, so out comes the motor one more time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm new to the vw world   I'm new to the vw world Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm new to the vw world
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Inland Valley Volkswagens :: General chat :: Lets talk-
Jump to: